Saturday, January 26, 2008

What to Do?

Bare with me when I say, the Super Bowl is almost here. I personally hate the Super Bowl worse that just about any other sporting event in professional sports history. Much is made about how the game never lives up to the hype that surrounds it, which is true yet false. The game itself is a hype machine that envies only that of the "journalists" over at Extra who kill themselves for footage of Britney Spears taking body shots off her two year old.

I should probably preface this rant with the fact that if the Jets were in the Patriots spot, I would not have slept since the AFC Championship game for fear that they would lose in one of my dreams. The truth is that the game is meaningless, yet more meaningful than any before it. People like my mother for instance have the game on in the background just so they can be the first to view the funniest new commercial that the new year has to offer. It's a barrage of celebrities, pre-game performances and of course, the halftime show. Simply put, it is impossible for one game to live up to coverage that is more hyped that the season itself. Well until this year when the word "Patriots" made your upchuck reflex tickle a bit.

Luckily there are a few more stories that are headlining the medium and one of them happens to be the announcement of the NBA All-Star starters. While the game is just for thrills and the suspects themselves are usual, this year highlights a few points in the game today. For starters (no pun intended), this years ten players have a combined twelve years of college experience between them, with only Tim Duncan and D-Wade having stayed longer than two seasons.

Also, congratulations are in order to recruits everywhere. Kobe Bryant, arguably the best player in the game today, is the only player that was not drafted in the top 5 of his respective class to be selected as a starter. Five of them were number one overall picks, with three of them (LeBron, Carmelo, D-Wade) belonging to a single draft class.

Another story that has caught my eye is the circus that we now refer as this baseball off season. What the Mitchell Report accomplished is a discussion off to itself, but after the allegations that were brought forth against Jose Canseco this week, I can honestly say that I've had enough. Though he was and still is the most credible voice about steroids, this is why I hate Canseco. The moment he is upset with you, he begins to threaten. When no team in the majors would touch him, he decided to grab a pen, paper and began to recall from a impeccable memory. Maybe that is an aspect of steroids that is not highlighted that much.

Since the report, we've been met with numerous denials while others have the classic excuse, "Well I took them, but it was just to get over an injury."

Yeah, that's kinda what they were made for in the first place. Faster recovery.

My idea is that from now on, any player that is caught using performance enhancing drugs will not miss a single game. Instead, we place them on performance deteriorating drugs like cocaine, ecstasy or heroin. This way, the fans who were cheated before now find redemption as Andy Pettite tries to find the strike zone after three hits of acid. If nothing else, just for the comedic value should Rangers youngster Josh Hamilton be busted for steroids. All that bettering your life for nothing, kid.

So sports fans, we are in that nasty transition period. The football season's are essentially over, basketball has yet to get to meaty part and spring training is a little over a month away. To make matters worse, the writer's strike continues. Long story short: Should you have anything important to do, don't put it off any longer. Do it now and enjoy what lies ahead of you.

Read More

2 comments:

Clyde Coleman said...

I like this a lot. I don't know if it's more about sports or about cynicism in general, but I'm a big fan of both. Either way, I think this is good, and I agree.

Writer said...

I would like to concur with your older brother - I enjoyed this also. I especially agree with the tremendous amount of bullshit surrounding the Super Bowl. The weeks leading up to Super Bowl Sunday represent everything that is wrong with the sports media. We latch onto these utterly horseshit stories (i.e., Tom Brady's injured foot) and milk, milk, milk them. My column for Sunday was about how stupid it was that people were eating up the bogus idea that somehow Tom Brady is going to miss the Super Bowl with his high ankle sprain. Are you fucking kidding me? I pointed out that it must be a real bummer to be Eli Manning, because here you are a guy who has lived in the heavy shadows of brother Peyton and father Archie and suddenly you've rallied your team into the Super Bowl and what is everyone talking about? Tom Brady's foot. Why? Because Tom Brady is the Stetson man. His life is ripe for headlines puns (I swear, if I see one more fucking play like "The Brady Bundchedon" I'll shoot myself). Anyways, I liked this.