Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A few thoughts from the UK/Tennessee game

I realize this makes two consecutive posts for me about UK basketball, but I can't help it.. since the Steelers got eliminated, this UK team is all I have to cheer for. So, if it would interest you to read some of my thoughts about tonight's upset over Tennesse, read on....


1. When was the last time you saw a UK team actually improve over the course of the season? Granted, part of this team's "improvement" has been because they've gotten a little healthier. But I swear I can see the team starting to mesh, they're starting to not only buy into the program, but also actually understand the program. They are literally getting better as the season goes on... what a crazy thought. How come Tubby never thought of that? There are still plenty of rocky times ahead for this team this season, but as long as there is progress like we've seen recently, I'll continue to be very optimistic about where the program is headed.

2. How about the play Billy G drew up to get the ball inbounds against UT's press with ~12 seconds left? When I saw Ramel inbouding the ball, I had no clue why we would elect to have him throwing it in b/c he is obviously the guy we wanted at the charity stripe. But when Jasper stepped out of bounds to receive the pass from Smoove, all at once you could just see the brilliance that is Coach BCG. It was a very simple, very obvious play, yet it was so beautiful from a coaching standpoint that it kinda gave me chills.

3. I love how this team hits their free throws. Bradley, Meeks, Patterson, all were money from the stripe when the game was on the line. That can't be underestimated when it comes to winning close games.

4. Nice to see Perry Stevenson actually step up and play like a man. I like it when he catches the ball, gives a few pump fakes to get his defender off the ground and then dunks the piss out of it. Of course, this can only work for a limited time, b/c eventually everyone will remember that he can't shoot and they'll just stay on the ground and contest his dunk whenever he goes up for it. But lets enjoy it whilst we can.

5. Maybe the highlight of the game was when Brad Nessler combined Ramel Bradley and Joe Crawford's names to make a player named "Bradford". I have lots of respect for those who combine names (and words in general) to simplify things.

6. Lastly, and most importantly, as always fuck Tennessee.



Read More

6 comments:

Tristan Davis said...

Can anyone actually read this? Cause I cant.

Writer said...

I'm glad you believe Tristan - because I don't.

Tristan Davis said...

I dont believe they are going to make much noise this season but they are getting better. I will be happy with being competitive and hopefully finishing with a .500 record in the SEC this season. 11-5 or 10-6 in the SEC and a tourney bid isnt out of the question. Unlikely, but not impossible. But I truly believe big things lie ahead for UK basketball under BCG.

Tristan Davis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Writer said...

I hope you're right. I really do.

Kelly Coleman said...

If nothing else, they've been fun to watch since the Vanderbilt game. Watching them play UAB and even parts of the Houston/Gardner-Webb games, they were just pathetic. Now they're active on defense. They actually move on offense. Nobody on that team consistently scares anyone outside of Patterson, but at least they're competing. That's not much solace for most UK fans, but I'll take it.