Monday, December 3, 2007

Top 30 Albums of 2007



2007 was an absolutely great year for music. It seemed like I was eagerly awaiting the release of some new album every Tuesday. This was a welcome relief after a somewhat musically anemic 2006. And while my favorite record from last year (Camera Obscura – Let’s Get Out of This Country) still gets its fair share of spins, my record player and iPod were overflowing with new music this year. So if you have any comments or criticisms on any of these albums, please feel free to share them with me. And if you have not gotten to hear them or are curious about any of them and want to give them a listen, please get in touch with me...send me an email, leave a comment, message me on facebook...and I will get you a copy of any of these albums. So here is how my year in music 2007 shaped up...

30. Son Volt – The Search
29. Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs – You Can’t Buy a Gun When You’re Crying
28. Modest Mouse – We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
27. Sunset Rubdown – Random Spirit Lover
26. Deerhunter – Cryptograms
25. Animal Collective – Strawberry Jam
24. The Twilight Sad – Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters
23. Jose Gonzalez – In Our Nature
22. White Rabbits – Fort Nightly
21. Feist – The Reminder

20. Iron & Wine – The Shepherd's Dog
19. Jay-Z – American Gangster
18. Thurston Moore – Trees Outside the Academy
17. Wilco – Sky Blue Sky
16. Club 8 – The Boy Who Couldn’t Stop Dreaming
15. Menomena – Friend and Foe
14. Ryan Adams – Easy Tiger
13. The Broken West – I Can’t Go On, I’ll Go On
12. Shocking Pinks – Shocking Pinks
11. Blonde Redhead – 23

10. Kanye West – Graduation
9. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
8. Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
7. Okkervil River – The Stage Names
6. Spoon – GaGaGaGaGa
5. Radiohead – In Rainbows
4. Of Montreal – Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
3. LCD Soundsystem – Sound of Silver
2. Jens Lekman – Night Falls Over Kortedala
1. The National – Boxer

4 comments:

JDB said...

Good stuff, man. And ditto the Camera Obscura record. I liked it in '06, but it hit me even more this year, as did Sunset Robdown's Shut Up...
A few records here that I really like (besides what I had listed): Jose Gonzalez, White Rabbits, Thurston, Broken West...
Glad to see the Club 8 appearance; they've gotten a lot of love on our blog, as has The Twilight Sad. This makes me quite happy.
I've started my list of top 50 songs of the year; 50-31 is up, and I'll be posting 10 per day, top 10 on Thursday. Love to see what you think.

Clyde Coleman said...

That Club 8 record is great. It has the weird ability to make me both happy and sad at the same time. Kinda in the same vein as Camera Obscura, I suppose. I took a glance at the first part of your song list earlier. I definitely plan on listening to any of the songs I'm unfamiliar with. I've gotta run now, but comments over on your page to follow...

Writer said...

Very nice call on LCD Soundsytem. They are one of my favorites.

Kelly Coleman said...

I'm very anxious for the upcoming year in music although it tends to skip a year lately. 2005 was a ridiculous year in music much like this one-2006 not so much, but anyways.
There will always be the handful of great artists that sneak up on you but I am looking the most forward to seeing if, A.)My Morning Jacket will go through anymore lineup changes B.)If they'll release another studio album.