Sunday, December 30, 2007

Bowl Preview (Part II)... finally

California v Air Force… Early in the season, Cal was a serious threat to win the national title. Then the wheels feel off. So why should they care about this game? Unless DeSean Jackson (is he even healthy?) goes crazy I’ll take Air Force to knock off the Goaden Bears.

South Fla v Oregon…. In what has hilariously been renamed the “Brut, son” bowl I like USF to beat the Nikes of Oregon. The Ducks haven’t been remotely the same since Dennis Dixon got injured against Arizona and USF rebounded nicely to finish the season. But if the Ducks wear the white tops, white pants, and white helmets, then we are all winners.

Ga Tech v Fresno State… Don’t have much to say about this one. Give me the Ramblin’ Wreck to beat Fresno and that strange little green V on the back of their helmets.

Kentucky v Fla. State… With the ‘Noles having 36 players out, things definitely look good for the Cats in this one. It would be nice to see the seniors go out with two straight 8-5 seasons and two consecutive Music City Bowl victories. Give me the Cats. Oohhhhh… C-A-T-S-Cats-Cats-Cats.

Indiana v Okie State – Mike Gundy is a grown man. He’s 40. I don’t recall Indiana having a good football team in my lifetime. After my first season of Madden 08, I drafted James Hardy (the 6’7” WR from IU) and he dropped lots of passes. Because of that give me the grown men of Okie State.

Clemson v Auburn… The strength of Clemson’s team is the running game and, just like every season, Auburn’s defense is tough. Assuming the SEC Tigers’ offense doesn’t kill them by being so terrible, I like Auburn to win this Tiger fight. Also a tiger fight would be a crazy thing to watch. I would have more respect for Mike Vick if he had been fighting tigers.

Tennessee v Wisconsin… I hate Tennessee and I think Erik Ainge looks like Christian Laettner. I’ll take the Badgers over Rocky Top based on hatred alone.

Mizzou v Arkansas… Not sure why Kansas deserved to get a BCS bid over Mizzou, who had just beaten the Jayhawks late in the season, so I would understand if the Tigers were a little disappointed to be playing in this game. And I’m staying away from all the Houston Nutt/Bobby Petrino stuff. Aside from that, I look for this to be a great game. Lots of offense, lots of fireworks and a loss for DMac in his final college game.

Meechigan v Florida…. The Gators have way too much speed for Meeechigan. Plus, Tebow is good for at least 5 TDs on his own. This is one of those games that will showcase the difference in SEC athletes vs Big 10 athletes. I look for Meeeechigan to lose by 2 or 3 TDs. Meeeeechigan.

Texas Tech v Virginia… Lots of good storylines in this game, the most important being that Mike Leach looks identical to Vince Gill. That’s reason enough to tune in. The Cavs love playing conservative football, winning games by one or two points, and their best player is Howie Long’s son (he’s also potentially a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft). The Gills throw the ball all over the field and put up video game numbers. The spread passing attack should somewhat neutralize Long’s pass rushing abilities. Give me the Gills in a very good game.

Illinois v USC… The Zooker has done a great job in just 2 seasons with the Illini. They’ll certainly be a trendy favorite to win the Big 10 next season but I don’t believe they can handle what some folks, earlier in the season, were calling “the greatest college football team of all time” in the Rose Bowl this season. Give me the Trojans.

Hawai’i v Georgia… As a huge underdog in this game, I look for Hawai’i to come out of the gates throwing the ball deep and slinging it all over the field. What? They always do that? Nevermind then. Bulldogs by A LOT.

WVU v Oklahoma… Coming off such a disappointing loss to Pitt and with Rich Rodriguez moving to Ann Arbor, hard to imagine the Mountaineers being able to rally to beat a very, very good Sooners squad. Plus, if it’s a tight game, either Slaton or White will get injured and miss some time. Either way, Sooners over West By God and Stevie Slaton to the NFL.

Kansas v Va Tech… Don’t believe the Jayhawks have seen a defense as good as VaTech’s this season. KU is going to spread the field but I believe VaTech has enough speed on D to suffocate the Jayhawks. Similar to the Auburn game, as long as the Hokies’ offense doesn’t make a ton of mistakes, they should be able to handle KU.

Ball State v Rutgers… I really like the Rutgers football program. My major concern for them is how long Greg Schiano can resist the bright lights and big money of the huge football programs. That being said, I’d really like to see Ball State beat the Scarlet Knights, but I don’t see them being able to handle all the Rice they’re gonna get. Rutgers wins comfortably.

Tulsa v Bowling Green… I’ll be honest, this is probably the game I care the least about in all of bowl season. I don’t understand why there are games played by mediocre teams in the days between New Years Day and the BCS Champsionship game. Give me Bowling Green.

More on the BCS Championship game later…

Also, I'm watching this Colts/Titans game and on a kickoff return, Chris Henry from the Titans just got hit as hard as I think I've ever seen a football player get hit. Did anyone else see that?

11 comments:

Tristan Davis said...

10-4 in the first set of predictions. Let's hope these are better.

Clyde Coleman said...

Props to you for commenting on your own post. I like that.

Tristan Davis said...

Gotta stimulate the conversation bro.

How much is Colt Brennan's draft stock falling tonight against UGA?

Clyde Coleman said...

Colt Brennan kinda sucks. I think everyone kinda suspected that. Now that he's up against defensive players with talent, he looks like a lost pup. A lost pup that kinda sucks.

Tristan Davis said...

A lost pup who is a convicted felon and kinda sucks.

Should I feel bad for rooting for the favorite in this game and LOLing everytime Hawai'i shows that absoulutely overwhelmed look?

Kathy said...

Jeff saw the hit. He'd love to talk to you about it at length, because it's all I've heard for the last 3 days. I'll refer him.

K-Po

Tristan Davis said...

First off, I love the name K-Po. There's no way I dont call you that from now on.

Secondly, me and CC went thru Hawesville on the way back from Owensboro the other day. Isnt that cool?

Kathy said...

That hit has been of particular significance in the P household the last few days. It's a great story, but too long for a blog comment.

I hope you enjoyed your time in Hawesville. Lots to see there. Where were you on your way to through which Hawesville is "on the way"? Cloverport?

Tristan Davis said...

We were going from Owensboro to Rineyville (in Hardin County) because we were taking someone home from the wedding. We apparently took a wrong turn somewhere, wound up in southern indiana, and eventually found our way back to KY by crossing the river from Cannelton to Hawesville. It was an interesting trip.

Kathy said...

Cannelton smells like behind.

Clyde Coleman said...

Somehow I have failed to see the name K-Po until just now. I feel a little cooler for having just typed it. One more time...K-Po. Now I've gotta go do cool stuff...


BTW K-Po, you or "Jeff" should give me a call sometime, as I will be in Lex for the next couple of months.