Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Song of the Day

Sometimes things need a bit of a kick in the ass. Things have been a bit slow around here lately, and it is easy to fall into a rut. So I am going to try to start a new regular segment creatively titled Song of the Day. We'll see how long I can keep it up before the laziness overtakes me once again.

For this first installment, the song is "End of the World" by Shocking Pinks. Shocking Pinks is the moniker of singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist Nick Harte. Now, I realize that being from New Zealand kind of puts you at a disadvantage when trying to get onto the indie music map, but I feel like their self-titled 2007 DFA records debut was greatly overlooked this year. I have yet to see it on anyone's Best Of year-end list. Either people are really overlooking this one, are discounting it as being a collection of previous EPs, or I just like it a lot more than everyone else. Whatever the case may be, you should check out this killer clip for "End of the World."



Best line of the song: "I wanna take you out, like it's the end of the world." I mean, what guy hasn't felt that way about a girl at some point? It's got that 80's tragically romantic feel that would make John Cusak proud. When Harte sings it, it sounds cool and sincere. If you were to say it to a girl, it would be the corniest thing you've ever said. So bite your lip and live vicariously through Nick Harte.

2 comments:

JDB said...

That song rules.

Clyde Coleman said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes it.