Friday, November 23, 2007

Rank Your Favorite Sports

All of the recent conversation about the Heisman race (which is great, by the way - thanks to all of you for the feedback) got me thinking about my order of preference for sports. Now, it's worth noting that I have been known to sit and devote 3+ hours of my life to watching George Mason play Kansas State in college basketball or Central Michigan play Western Michigan in college football with no vested interest in any of these teams. So, sports in general rank pretty highly on the scale of things I like. Now I am going to attempt to rank them in order for me, and I'm very interested in hearing how anyone who might be reading this would rank their favs. Without further ado...

1. NFL
No other professional sports league embodies being "the show" quite like the NFL. The athletes are bigger, stronger, and more knowledgeable about the game to such an extent that it is not uncommon for "elite" college football stars to be complete failures in the pros. From the moment the last seconds tick off the clock on Sunday night, I am already anticipating the matchups that will come next week.

2. College Football
Always exciting. There are no other sports where a single loss can completely ruin your entire season. It requires teams to be completely and utterly perfect each and every Saturday. And if you don't bring your A-game, there is a very good chance that you are going down, regardless of the team on the opposite sidelines. As I've said before, this season is particularly great. But last season wasn't too shabby either. Just ask Jared Zabransky.

3. College Basketball
Many people may feel that this number three ranking is blasphemy, being from the Bluegrass state and being an avid Kentucky fan. But that doesn't mean that I don't love college hoops. These kids play their assess off every time they are out there. There's always gonna be a team that goes on a big winning streak, there's always gonna be a player who rises above the rest to generate NBA hype, and there's always gonna be that player that never quite lives up to his potential (*cough*Joe Crawford*cough*). All of that, and I haven't even mentioned the NCAA tournament - I think it pretty much speaks for itself.

4. MLB
Right now I am totally engrossed in the "Hot Stove." I'm kinda bummed about Torii Hunter leaving Minnesota, totally underwhelmed that A-Rod resigned with the Yanks, and intrigued about seeing Joe Torre in Dodger blue. Oh yeah, and it turns out that Barry Bonds is a liar...who knew. Baseball was the first sport I ever fell in love with, and there is always a soft spot for your first love, right? Nowadays, I primarily watch a lot of baseball in April and May and then again in September and October.

5. NBA
When I was young, I would watch any NBA game on television. What, the Bucks are about to play the Sonics? Let me make some popcorn! Then, my interest flickered out. Two or three years ago, you couldn't have paid me to watch an NBA game (except for the dunk contest and 3-point shootout at All Star weekend). Now, my interest in the NBA has slowly returned. I still don't really have a favorite team, but I love what the Celtics have put together and I love the Bulls' young, talented roster (even though they are playing like complete shit right now). The fact that LeBron James made an appearance in the NBA Finals was great for the game, both for David Stern and the fans.

So there you go...my favorite sports in order of preference. Now feel free to post yours. And it doesn't have to be these same sports, by any means. If you're a fan of NASCAR or hockey or Ultimate Fighting, let us know why (cuz God knows I can't get into any of these sports).

9 comments:

Kelly Coleman said...

1. NFL - No doubt about it the best thing in sports is the National Football League. No other pro or college sport generates as much buzz or revenue.
2. MLB - I know that the game has been tarnished beyond repair for most people, but the home run was never reason I turned on the tube. With all that is going on in every sport, all games should be watched with some skepticism. Nonetheless, when all is said and done, A-Rod will be known as the best to ever suite 'em up.
3. College Basketball - No other event makes you wish for urostomy and colostomy bags like March Madness, because at some point you WILL miss a great moment. The new one and done rules have given us a sneak peak at the future of the Association.
4. College Football - Every game is important, but the sudden fall of storied programs that I grew up with (Miami, Nebraska, Florida State) have dampered my feeling about the mystique. Simply put, nothing special about watching Mizz/Kansas, regardless of how important.
5. NBA - Does any sports league make itself harder to like? The betting scandal and Knicks debacle have ruined one of the best off seasons in recent memory.
I do love watching tennis and golf, however just like most of the pros in those sports, I only get interested during the majors.

Anonymous said...

By far and a head my number 1: MLB.
I love baseball with more passion than any other sport that is played. No game has this kind of history or has moved people this game has. Kirk Gibsons homerun, Joe Dimaggio's general aura, Joe Carters walk off, all the great things that have made up baseball. The level its being played at now is spectacular and the change in whos on top from year to year really helps keep you interested and hopes alive. Even for a loyal Cubs fan like myself!

2. NFL
If you want a fast paced, hard hitting, action packed sport, this one is definitely it. Its the best sport for building up anticipation for one day in a week, rivaled only by college football in that sense. We are watching in probably the most exciting time in history, with (in my opinion) the 2 greatest QB's ever playing, and destroying defenses.

3. College Basketball:
I guess it was just being raised in a college basketball home, but I cant get enough of it. Players play with 10 times the heart in college basketball then proffesionals, and it makes for a much better game. March Madness is the single greatest time in sports regardless.

4. College Football
I just recently got big into college football, so it is still pretty low on my list of favorites. It definitely provides a lot of fun to see the little guy try to take down the big boys every Saturday. I still feel that the system disadvantages the SEC and the lack of playoffs draws me away from it though.

5. NBA
Something just has never held my interest in the NBA. I can stand to watch it sometimes, but its like the players arent really out there playing to try to win for the team. It is a lot of show and razzle dazzle yea, but sometimes its nice to see some geniune emotion in the game. I enjoyed the years when the Bulls and Jazz went back and forth, but since then I havent really found an interesting storyline, though the Celtics might provide that this year.

Clyde Coleman said...

Slone, I couldn't agree more with your comment about baseball having more history and meaning more to more people than any other sport. All of those references you made make me want baseball season to start immediately!

Anonymous said...

Exactly! Once college football ends and the NFL goes away, thats my most hated time in sports. All you have is the NBA to hold your interest in sports for like 2 months, unless you get into spring training heavily. So sit down and try and keep watching for hot stove material, and just try and prepare yourself for a horrible few months to come haha.

Writer said...

College basketball is the best sport ever and all other sports pale in its comparison.

adutz said...

1. College basketball
March Madness admittedly makes me pee my pants a little. Every year.
2. College football
College sports automatically come before any pro sport, for me.
2. MLB
Only got into it this season, or else it wouldn't even be tied for #2, it would just be #2.
4. NFL
It just depends on the season for me, I guess. Some are better than others.
5. NBA
If it were up to me, I wouldn't even include the NBA. I don't like it, and I try not to watch it.

adutz said...

Also: yes, right now is a weird time for sports. Baseball's over, and I feel like I'm just sitting around until basketball gets good. I should be more into the NFL, but I'm just not this season. The thing is, it's the holidays, so everything is kind of too busy to keep up anyway.

Tristan Davis said...

1. NFL and its not even close

2. College Football - Amazing season. Loving the parity these days.

3. College Hoops - the NBA's age rules have helped the level of play in college and March is awesome every year

4. NBA - can't really watch regular season NBA, but I try to keep up with the standings and stats and the big stories.... love watching the playoffs.. like everyone else, i think the NBA is on the rise

5. MLB - there is supposed to be more parity in baseball these days but there's just too much Yankees/Red Sox news for me... and my Pirates havent been good in 15 years

Clyde Coleman said...

ha...Amy, the fact that college basketball makes you pee your pants brings validity to it being your favorite sport.