Saturday, April 26, 2008

Are We Still On?

I'm completely aware of the now seemingly defunct nature of this blog and can only apologize to anyone who was actually a regular viewer. The most honest answer I can give is that sometimes life gets in the way of reporting regularly to a blog where you're not entirely sure what to say anyways.

On a less broad topic, I must say that as I'm at home listening to the 'Best of Bowie', I cannot help but think about the past. Not the whole past, but my past in regards to David Bowie. For the record I love Bowie and think that he is just the personification of pop. However the funniest part of the whole story is that the first David Bowie song that I remember hearing and knowing that it was Bowie was the tragic "I'm Afraid of Americans" that is actually on this record. It's a horribly overdone attempt by an aging Bowie to get with the industrial sound that was the later portion of the 90's. He even brought in Trent Reznor (whose ego during this portion matched Bowie's during his heyday) to help in this attempt for a rebirth. And while the song is not exactly the worst that I've ever heard or anything, it just makes me smile thinking that to twelve year old me, David Bowie was an synthesizer-driven industrial rocker who talked about Johnny (the every-American) and hated harmony.

I just cannot help but find some humor in all of that.

No comments: