Sunday, May 4, 2008

Eight Belles (2005-2008)

Whatever we may do with our lives is defined by the dash that seperates the year we were born from the year of death. Most people do not know the whole story. Eight Belles, we hardly knew ye. Truly.

OK, while that is a true exploitation of what a bastard I am, the truth is that yesterday defined my complete feelings about horse racing. Horses themselves are majestic creatures and horse racing is coined as the, "Sport of Kings."

However both ends of this tangled spectrum were illustrated yesterday as one horse, Big Brown, won the 134th running after less than a handful of races. The other of course is the euthanizing of runner-up Eight Belles. Beauty and elegance is reduced to a tragedy with death taking place on the infield.

Honestly the only funny part was of how I found out about this. I did not get a chance to watch the Derby although I watched a few of the earlier races. I turned on ESPN later in the evening to see what had happened and saw that line that said that the place horse was euthanized. I assumed it was for punishment for losing, instead of the reason that we all know now.

1 comment:

Tristan Davis said...

When I was really young, I thought that when I was watching baseball and a batter made an out and the announcers said the batter "had been retired" that it actually meant the player had retired... ya know, hung em up for good. I realize there is a difference between retiring and being euthanized, but both seem to be rather harsh punishments for simply not getting the job done.